BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) -- A Vermont prosecutor says no criminal charges will be filed against two Burlington police officers involved in the shooting death of shovel-wielding man with a long history of mental health issues.
Chittenden County State's Attorney T.J. Donovan made the announcement on Monday.
Donovan says Cpl. Ethan Thibault, who fired the deadly shots, and Cpl. Brent Navari, who was at the scene of the Nov. 6 incident in Burlington's New North End, were justified in taking the actions they took against a combative man.
Officials say the officers had been called to the home of 49-year-old Wayne Brunette after receiving a report he was destroying property.
The Burlington Free Press (http://bfpne.ws/1bbbdQs) reports Donovan said the decision came after a state police investigation and the attorney general agreed with the decision.